Monday, November 14, 2011

It's a Lifestyle Change

This is what they preach at Weight Watchers (WW), and I couldn't agree more.  A diet has dos and don'ts... eat this, not that.  WW allows for chocolate.  It allows for wine.  It allows for the goodies that you're going to ultimately encounter sooner or later.  No, I'm not a paid WW promoter (though I kind of sound like it, don't I?), but I know that the program works.

I'm getting to a point here, and it doesn't have anything to do with WW, but with this lifestyle change that I'm trying to make.  I want to be able to go to peoples' houses and eat what they're eating.  I want to enjoy what I'm eating.  I want to make this change a liveable change.  I don't want to give up carbs, or sweets or dessert.

And I don't want to run on the treadmill (or dreadmill, as I like to call it).

This is what I learned today, as I struggled to run while the kids watched Sesame Street.  I didn't even make it a mile before Jackson pushed Natalie down, and she started crying.  Then, she tried to climb the gate I have around the dreadmill, crying more.  This has been the norm every time I've tried to run indoors.  I make it about 10 minutes before I find an excuse to quit, or am forced to quit.

Am I going to keep this up if I hate it so much?  Probably not.  Should I find another way to work out during the week?  Yep.  That's the realization I came to today.  Now, I really really like to run outdoors.  And, I loved running this summer at 6am while the kids were still sleeping and it was nice and cool and quiet.  So, I am going to give myself a break.  I'm not going to make myself run on the dreadmill during the winter.  I'll run on the weekends outdoors when Joe can watch the kids.  During the week, I'll do Just Dance 2 on the wii (which is TONS of fun and Jackson loves!) or I'll do wii Active after the kids go to bed. 

No more dreadmill.

1 comment:

  1. I love that you are writing a blog! What a great motivational tool not only for you and for others! I read both your posts yesterday and after 2 weeks of not going to the gym and not attending any classes since Nikolai started preschool, i dragged my butt to the gym and got my butt kicked...and loved it! Keep doing what you are dong. You look great! I wish you lived closer so we could be workout buddies!

    ReplyDelete